You can get a lot out of a small garden by putting into practice some tricks like the ones we are going to tell you about below. Decorating a small garden can be as much fun as if you had a large one. The question is knowing how to take advantage of what you have and look for simple ideas, but capable of bringing beautiful results. In other words, it all depends on the focus.
If you know the characteristics of the space well, it will be much easier for you to take advantage of it. And although this may seem like an obvious question, there are many people who, by not taking into account the measurements of the space, introduce inappropriate elements that, in the end, only manage to reduce the space.
How to decorate a small garden?
If you are a lover of plants, flowers and everything that sprouts from the earth, you need your small garden or orchard at home. Also, if you want to enjoy sunny days from now on, pay attention and take note of these fantastic ideas to give a different touch to your garden.
You can turn that corner that perhaps you thought you did not have many options, into a very cozy small garden.
- First of all, you have to define what style you want to follow. There are many types of gardens, for example rustic, minimalist or zen.
- Second, select the materials and colors for them to create a harmonious decorative scheme.
They are a great option when you don’t have much space. It consists of expanding the space vertically using walls or ceiling supports.
- You can use different materials. Beams, stakes or wooden shelves to create ladders attached to the wall and place the plants on them.
- On the other hand, you can get a vine. These pretty plants are very hardy and grow quickly. In addition, they cover our walls giving them a very natural look, like an outdoor space.
- From the same family and looking for the same effect, you can get climbing plants, such as jasmine, ivy or bougainvillea. With a few small guides, you will get a beautiful vertical garden and without having to resort to many materials.
Type of vegetation.
If you are fond of gardening, you will know that there is a huge variety of trees, flowers, shrubs and plants that you can place in our home. Its colors brighten up and turn a small space into something wonderful.
To achieve this, you have to know well what types of vegetation are the most convenient according to the area where you live. If you don’t know which ones to decide on, we leave you some ideas.
- Climbing plants. Previously mentioned, they are perfect to cover our walls, fences, walls or pergolas. The visual effect is beautiful.
- Upholstery or artificial grass. If you don’t want to water continuously and be concerned about the state of the grass, you can buy artificial grass. It is cheaper and has very good finishes.
- Ornamental trees. In the nurseries they have trees that are practically for decoration. They are simple to handle and do not require much special care. Of course, you have to be careful with the size of the tree if you have a very small garden.
- Cacti and succulents. These plants are very resistant and have very striking aspects that look great in various types of decoration.
It is important to ask professionals or be well documented about plants, since many lose their beauty in the winter months or, on the contrary, in spring or autumn.
If you have enough space to place some tables or chairs, do not exceed their size. Do not recharge it with elements because it could lose the effect of being a place of rest and relaxation.
The ideal is to be aware and know what you want to use your garden for. Also take into account what material these furniture are made of, since in summer it is not the same if they are made of plastic, wood or steel.
In addition, over time, the sun, wind and rain will cause them to spoil if they are not of very good quality. Find something that you like and that is of average quality. If you already have some old garden furniture, you can give them a coat of paint to give it a different touch. Combine colorful tablecloths and chair cushions.
Pay attention to the earth.
It may be that you acquire a land that does not serve you to plant the chosen vegetation. You have to buy good soil so that the flowers, shrubs and plants have enough substrates and nutrients to develop properly.
When planting them, you must leave a prudent space between one and the other, since even if you do not see it, the roots will expand quickly.
As with the interior of the home, one of the most important aspects that you must consider to make it more charming is the type of lighting. Today, you can find wonderful lamps that decorate and illuminate the garden and offer dreamlike finishes.
The light elements will allow you to enjoy this space for a longer time. Use energy-saving light bulbs, wall lamps, or outdoor garlands to illuminate the spots you want. You can also install spotlights behind hedges or shrubs to create the effect of depth.
If you are looking for an equally beautiful finish but without requiring so much work, you can opt for a minimalist decoration. It consists of using colored gravel, river stones, volcanic stones or wooden planks, among others, to cover the ground. The change will be instantaneous. You can also buy pots and plant cacti that don’t need much care.
Use recycled materials.
Although you may not know it, you may already have some very valuable materials at home to decorate your garden. You can use mason jars to make terrariums or plant flowers.
In addition, you can make centerpieces with an old bowl, decorate with candles or hang old plates on the walls. This will add a rustic touch to your small garden. If you have pallets, you can use them to make frames for planters, make a table, or use the boards for a vertical garden.
You no longer have an excuse not to try to spice up your small garden. Go ahead and get to work!