We can plant the vegetables in the form of cuttings or seeds, although the first is less laborious. It is important to know the associations of plants to promote reproduction and growth. An organic garden offers us a great variety of fruits and vegetables to prepare our food. Some consider it a therapy, others, a way to connect with the earth and there are also those who want to eat healthier and more natural.
Learn some recommendations on how to build an organic garden, while still living in the city.
The organic garden: first aspects.
In order to plan a correct urban garden that offers us food to consume in our family, we must have a small space on a terrace, balcony or patio.
- The space has to have the least 6 hours of light sun directly, so that plants develop in the best way possible.
- The pots should be placed facing north, to receive more light.
- If the space is wide, it is better to surround it with a half shade so that the animals do not enter (pets).
- The water supply needs to be as close as possible to make watering easier.
- Choose the species to be planted according to what is most consumed in the home.
The right containers for the garden.
These pots or containers must meet the following requirements:
- Be light so that they can be easily transported and that they do not carry an excessive weight for the place where the garden will be made.
- Have good drainage to eliminate the water that does not need, either by rain or irrigation.
- The more volume the container offers, the better, because the plants will be able to develop almost as in the ground. Not less than 20 cm is recommended.
- The number of pots or containers will depend on the number of members of the family.
- Differentiate the pots for leafy or root vegetables, since their sizes vary.
- Materials: wood or clay protect the roots better.
Delimiting the organic garden.
It is necessary to know where the garden will be placed. Then, know the species that we will plant and arrange the pots or containers.
It must be a comfortable place that allows you to work bent over and reach all the containers.
In addition to the soil that can be obtained in any nursery, substrates must be placed (they are also commercialized), so that the plants grow healthier.
Vegetables can be planted in two ways: as a seed or as a seedling (seedling) depending on the species. In the same way, knowing about the associations of the plants will be very good to facilitate reproduction. For example, if tomatoes are grown, there must be basil in the same container.
As you can see, setting up a small garden is not as complicated as it may seem. Therefore, you only need a little time and the objects and materials that we have mentioned and get to work.