Garlic is considered one of the basic elements of gastronomy. It is a condiment that enhances the flavors of food and is essential in the preparation of multiple dishes.
The particular flavor of garlic makes it an excellent seasoning for meals. Apart from this, it has various medicinal properties; in fact, garlic would help regulate high blood pressure and serve to prevent cholesterol from adhering to the walls of the arteries. For all this, it could be interesting to have a garlic crop at home.
You are probably wondering if it is really convenient to go through the whole process of preparing the soil, planting and maintaining the care of a crop. The answer is yes; Not only because it will be healthier for you, but because you will be able to better appreciate what the cultivation and consumption of different foods implies.
Advantages of having a garlic crop at home.
Growing your own garlic at home has endless benefits. The first is that you will always have fresh garlic available to season your meals and give them that incomparable flavor that everyone likes so much. Let’s see some others:
- You have complete guarantee that your crop is free of fertilizers and toxic agents.
- Working in a garlic or any other food crop is an activity that is very educational, regardless of age. It teaches patience and gentleness, and it also helps us release tension and learn to focus in the moment. All this translates into greater well-being.
- The smell of garlic can evoke memories of delicious dishes and pleasant moments shared with family or friends.
- The cost of growing garlic is lower in the long run. Without a doubt, this is a very useful saving method.
Elements to create your own garlic crop.
The truth is that planting and harvesting garlic is very easy. You just have to make sure that the crop has enough sunlight and water. As for the latter, you should water it frequently to hydrate the soil.
The first thing you should do is buy a head of garlic and separate the cloves, without removing the peel. You can prepare the ground with some natural fertilizer. If you are preparing a soil bed, alternate it in furrows and mounds, as this is where you will plant the seeds.
The next step is to bury the garlic to a depth of about 10 cm and with the tip up. You should place them with a separation of about 15 cm between each tooth. Consider that, for each seed, a full head of garlic will grow.
It’s very simple, right? However, there are a number of factors that you must take into account when preparing the land and the plot that you will dedicate to growing garlic. Next, we are going to comment on these points in detail.
Previous considerations for your garlic cultivation.
- The best time to plant garlic is during the fall or, in the case of purple, in the spring.
- If you are going to plant in pots, the minimum volume of these should be 3 liters. Also, the depth of the planter should be at least 25 centimeters.
- If you plant in a garden, the distance between the crop lines should be at least 30 centimeters. In this way, the garlic will have enough space to grow and you will avoid self-sabotaging your crop from the beginning.
- From the moment you have finished planting your garlic, you will get your harvest in 3 and a half months.
For the cultivation to be successful, a very fertile soil is needed. For this reason, it is recommended to add a layer of compost (or manure, if the soil is very light) to nourish the soil.
On the other hand, it is advisable to use only natural fertilizers to give the soil density and, also, a greater quantity and quality of nutrients.
Caring for your garlic crop.
The garlic plant is very fond of the sun and water. It is for this reason that it should be planted in a site where full sun exposure is available. Find space on your balcony or on window sills.
Now, to keep the soil moist it is necessary to water the garden frequently. We must not allow the land to become dehydrated, as this can kill the garlic crop. Remember that the amount of water you should add to your crop will also depend on the type of climate where you are.
On the other hand, if you water with too much water, you can risk the garlic getting diseases. Otherwise, if you allow the soil to dry out, the garlic will grow smaller or, in extreme cases, the plant may not even grow.
Go ahead and create your garlic crop.
Garlic can be the perfect plant to start you in the world of the urban garden since it does not require as much care as other crops. However, you should consider the variables that we mentioned earlier.
In short, having a garlic crop is very simple, but you have to know what aspects to take into account to reduce the number of difficulties. Why not experiment and see the benefits of this great experience?